Role type: Full time; Fixed-term available for 3 years
Department/School: Research, Innovation and Commercialisation
Salary: Senior Manager 1 package including 10% or 17% super
- Growth Market – Executive Education and Micro Credentials
- Expand Market Share – backed by THE leading education brand in Australia!
- Experience with – diverse stakeholder groups; complex environments; outcomes focused.
Founded in 1853, the University of Melbourne is Australia’s #1 university and is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
About Research, Innovation and Commercialisation (RIC)
RIC is a specialist team dedicated to enabling the University’s research and innovation mission working closely with our academic and professional colleagues, industry partners, funding and government agencies. We have a passion to see our academics and their collaboration partners succeed, achieve research excellence and translate their discoveries into real-world innovation and impact.
About the Role
As the Senior Business Development Manager (SBDM) you will lead the development and implementation of the business development strategy for the Melbourne School of Professional and Continuing Education (MSPACE). You will proactively engage academics with external stakeholders, identifying, developing and maintaining relationships with government and industry partners and drive the development, negotiation and close of commercial engagement opportunities. This is an exciting opportunity to shape BD at MSPACE and aspire to develop large, complex Faculty and University wide opportunities.
In a typical week at work, you may:
- Proactively engage external stakeholders in ways that the University can address industry sector, market and organisational priorities through its teaching and learning, particularly through the development of customised professional and technical education programs, and work with academics and RIC colleagues to develop these opportunities
- Lead, support and drive commercial engagement opportunities including the development of commercial budgets, commercial models and terms, proposal development and negotiation and execution of commercial contracts
- Lead and drive the management, prioritisation, delivery and reporting on commercial opportunity pipeline for MSPACE
Your wealth of experience in generating new business and negotiating commercial opportunities, in combination with excellent relationship management skills, will allow you to represent the University in discussions on all RIC services, including customised professional and technical education programs. You possess strong commercial acumen and sector knowledge and ideally have experience matching research and teaching with industry developments and opportunities.
Ideally, you will further have:
- An undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline (PhD and/or MBA highly desirable, but not essential) coupled with substantial commercial experience in a business development or commercial role, or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and education
- Proficiency in scoping, planning, identifying, negotiating and managing complex arrangements with commercial partners through to contract execution
- Demonstrated capacity to lead and facilitate teams/resources to respond to commercial opportunities. A constructive and contributing team player. Strong project management skills
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements and generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, please visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
At UoM, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community, and we encourage and celebrate diversity. Indigenous Australians, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities or culturally diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for our roles. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
How to Apply
Apply online, complete the application and upload your:
- Cover Letter – outlining your interest in this role; a response to each of the following selection criteria; and any further relevant experience you wish to highlight:
- A strong track record of generating new business and negotiating and closing commercial opportunities, ideally achieved through matching research and teaching through customised professional and technical education programs and other capabilities with industry developments and opportunities.
- Proficiency in scoping, planning, identifying, negotiating and managing complex arrangements with commercial partners through to contract execution.
- Ability to constructively manage multiple and complex stakeholder relationships and competing priorities without losing momentum.
- Advertising closes – Mid May
- Assessments & Interviews – Late May
- Referencing & offer – Early June
- Target start date – Early July
Should you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition team at [email protected].
Position Description: 0047581 – Senior Business Development Manager (MSPACE) – PD.pdf
Applications close: 5 MAY 2022 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time